- What is the evidence that Vitamin C is required or works in the body?
Vitamin C is a nutrient that our body needs to form blood vessels, cartilage, muscle, and collagen in our bones. Not only that but it’s vital to our healing process. It helps protect our cells against free radicals. These are molecules produced when our body breaks down food and is even exposed to tobacco smoke. They’re big contenders in heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. Our body doesn’t store it as much as we need because it’s a water-soluble vitamin. Because of this we need to constantly ingest it in some shape or form.
- What conditions benefit Vitamin C?
According to Mayo Clinic there are some specific conditions that can benefit form the use of it. They are:
- Cancer- when it comes to cancer patients, the use of this vitamin can help in many ways. The only problem is that the best way to get it would be through the foods we eat or intravenously. When used intravenously it’s said that there is effectiveness in how it enhances the chemo sensitivity of cancer cells and even can decrease the chemo effects and fatigue intensity.
- Common Cold and Wound Healing- Taking vitamin c won’t prevent you from getting a cold. When you take the vitamin supplements, it may help in reducing the effects and symptoms that a cold may bring. Vitamin C also helps the body produce collagen. With a good amount of it in the body, it can help in the wound healing process.
- Cardiovascular Health- when it comes to our heart, it’s important we take the right steps in keeping it healthy. Vitamin C has antioxidant properties that help widen the blood vessels and help improve nitric oxide production.
- What is the highest safe dose of Vitamin C?
While taking this vitamin can have many positive benefits to your body, too much of something is never good. When it comes to the amount you should get, this varies depending on gender and sometimes-even age. Adult women need around 75 mg of it daily while adult men need as much as 90 mg. Because this is a water-soluble vitamin, our body is going to excrete any amount we don’t need anymore. This doesn’t mean you should go overboard. Our body can only safely handle a specific amount of Vitamin C. The maximum dosage we can handle is around 2,000 mg. ingesting more then that will have more negative effects then good ones.
- Are there side effects that come from the misuse of Vitamin C?
Consuming too much of it can have negative effects on your body. If you consume more than 2,000 mg there is a great risk of kidney stones, birth defects, excessive iron absorption and much more. Not only that but some of the symptoms can include:
- Stomach cramps
Give us a call to schedule an appointment or come give us a visit! Our IV Cocktails and IM shots are made to perfection specifically for you and your needs!